Sunday, April 28, 2019

Crock Pot General Tso's Chicken

There are a lot of things that I’ve experienced over the years that I thought would be amazing but wound up being terrible ideas, like pregaming open bars, volunteering to do favors that I can’t possibly fit into my schedule, or watching Juan Pablo be this season’s Bachelor.  (Seriously, by the end of the Finale After-Show, I was ready to throw my TV out the window.  Anyone with me there?)

There are a lot of things that I’ve experienced over the years that I thought would be amazing but wound up being terrible ideas, like pregaming open bars, volunteering to do favors that I can’t possibly fit into my schedule, or watching Juan Pablo be this season’s Bachelor.  (Seriously, by the end of the Finale After-Show, I was ready to throw my TV out the window.  Anyone with me there?)


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” pieces)
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
  • ½ cup unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 1/3 cup vinegar (white distilled or apple cider)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger
  • Green onions, chopped, to top
  • Rice and broccoli, to serve

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Combine 3/4 cups cornstarch, the salt, and the pepper in a shallow dish. Dip the chicken pieces in the cornstarch mixture to coat, shake off excess, and set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken pieces. It should take less than 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and set aside.
  3. In the slow cooker, combine the sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne. Stir to mix well.